ORDINANCE NO. 9041
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF LAWRENCE, KANSAS, AMENDING CHAPTER XVII, ARTICLE 1, CODE OF THE CITY OF LAWRENCE, KANSAS, 2013 EDITION, AND AMENDMENTS THERETO, BY AMENDING SECTION 17-120 PERTAINING TO STOPPING, STANDING OR PARKING IN SPECIFIED PLACES, AND REPEALING EXISTING SECTION 17-120.
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE GOVERNING BODY OF THE CITY OF LAWRENCE, KANSAS:
SECTION 1: Section 17-120 of the Code of the City of Lawrence, Kansas, 2013 Edition and amendments thereto, is hereby amended to read as follows:
17-120 AMENDMENTS TO STO: Stopping, Standing or Parking Prohibited in Specified Places.
Section 85 of the Standard Traffic Ordinance is hereby amended to read as follows:
Section 85. Stopping, Standing or Parking Prohibited in Specified Places.
Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:
(a) Stop, stand or park a vehicle:
(1) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;
(2) On a sidewalk;
(3) Within an intersection;
(4) On a crosswalk;
(5) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within 30 feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone; unless a different length is indicated by signs or markings;
(6) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing or parking would obstruct traffic;
(7) Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;
(8) On any railroad tracks;
(9) On any controlled-access highway;
(10) In the area between roadways of a divided highway, including crossovers;
(11) At any place where official signs prohibit stopping; or
(12) In any area designated by signs as a no parking and tow zone.
(b) Stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not except momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers:
(1) In front of a public or private driveway;
(2) Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;
(3) Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;
(4) Within 30 feet upon the approach to any flashing signal; stop sign or traffic-control signal located at the side of a roadway;
(5) Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within 75 feet of said entrance, when properly sign-posted;
(6) At any
place when official signs prohibit standing
(7) Within a marked bicycle lane.
(c) Park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except temporarily for the purpose of, and while actually engaged in, loading or unloading property or passengers;
(1) Within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing;
(2) At any place where official signs prohibit parking.
(d) No person shall move a vehicle not lawfully under his control into any such prohibited area or away from a curb such a distance as is unlawful.
(e) No person shall stand or park a vehicle in areas designated as fire lanes upon public or private property. (K.S.A. 8-1571).
SECTION 2: Section 17-120 of the Code of the City of Lawrence, Kansas, 2013 Edition and amendments thereto, is hereby repealed, it being the intent that the provisions of this ordinance supersede the repealed Code section.
SECTION 3: If any section, clause, sentence, or phrase of this ordinance is found to be unconstitutional or is otherwise held invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, it shall not affect the validity of any remaining parts of this ordinance.
SECTION 4: This ordinance shall take effect and be in force after its passage and publication as provided by law.
PASSED by the Governing Body of the City of Lawrence, Kansas, this ____ day of October, 2014.
Acting City Clerk
APPROVED AS TO FORM AND LEGALITY:
Toni R. Wheeler
NOTICE TO PUBLISHER
Publish one time and return one Proof of Publication to the City Clerk and one to the City Attorney.